Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dove number 99

Last night I set one last dove free. There are no more. The bird cage on top of the apartments is now empty. I can't help but continue to ponder about last night's bird. The patterns of this bird were unlike any I've seen before. The turns, dips, and swooping motions were so precise, so carefully executed by the dove. I was left with only one interpretation which I have never before come across. As I recorded down the significance of every turn and flap of the dove, I was left with only one understanding. Usually, the dove's movements leave me with an understanding of how I can intervene-how I can help change one small event that will change the rest of someone's life forever. But this time....this time was different. As I released the last bird, number 99, I didn't even snap a picture to remember her by. For some reason, I sensed a feeling of finality...I sensed Death. But the bird didn't fight it's release. She just stepped right onto my finger with an innocent confidence. Never scared, she was. She was a seer too, and for that, this dove understood fate. Her motions told me so. She flew on into the horizon, dancing out her fate, revealing every last breathe to me-when, where, how. And as the dove flew off into the distance, past the city sky line, the rain came. It came harder than ever before. The sky gray, the only light left was the glowing white dove that illuminated the air around. As the dove flew farther and farther, the dove's illuminating light grew dimmer.. until finally, the light from the dove, like a lone candle, flickered out. She was gone, and soon I knew the woman would be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment